Tropical Allure in April and No Planes Necessary

For several years I have tried to maintain a habit of going to a place every week that will inspire me. Not an original idea, but it helps to keep the creative juices flowing. It is called an artist date. I go with friends or family but most of the time I go by myself. Doesn't have to be grand, maybe the local yarn shop or toy shop. Sometimes an hour in the woods or even sitting on a park bench. Last week my artist date started and ended at the NYC Botanical Gardens
My sister Loli called the week before to tell me about a Cuban Orchid show at the NYC Botanical Gardens. I marveled at the synchronicity of events. As I was picking up the phone to speak to her, I was searching on the Internet to see about an orchid show that I had read about in the paper. She insisted I come down for the day and evening and go to the show with her and her friend, Carmen Maria. Getting there was an interesting trip on the subway
( I'll leave that for another day, an artist date in and of itself). However when we came up from below the weather had taken a turn for the better. We had 6 blocks to arrive to our via point and decided to take in the good weather and walk. With every block we walked, another layer of clothing was removed. It was a beautiful day, downright sultry. Perfect for a display of Cuban Orchids.
For those of you that don't know, me included, the Botanical Gardens are right in the vicinity of Fordham University in the Bronx. Upon arriving we were greeted with happy daffodils dancing in the sunlight. We were dazzled by the beauty of the gardens and the city as a backdrop. Much prettier then I had anticipated. Once inside the conservatory, It was all the orchids. A myriad of colors: yellow, purple, red and a multitude of greens and oranges. It was nothing short of breathtaking. As we meandered through the Enid A. Haupt Conservatory, vani
lla orchids, miniature orchids, and other exotic varieties were in full bloom, manufactured by loving hands, within a tropical backdrop.
My sister and I were in deep amazement. Carmen Maria marveled at the all the varieties that she could remember as a child in her backyard. There were oohs and ah's at every turn. I
became intrigued by the way the natural fauna imitated the culture
of Cuba. I saw visions of the salseros dancing costumes in these orchids. It was a sea of tropical
allure. Don't take my word for it check out the pictures.










Here is my sister loli and her friend Carmen Maria. Loli a Cabaret singer who recently won a the much coveted 2010 Bistro Awards for outstanding entertainer. Carmen Maria is the consummate,roving reporter for Radio and Television Marti and all things Cuban. This was an artist date that won't soon be forgotten, maybe even memorialized. It did the trick of inspiration.
STAY TUNED!

Comments

Popular Posts